9/28/2012

A Reminder

What I got for my daily devotional today by Pastor Kong.

Choose Love!

There’s a common myth in our culture today that love is uncontrollable. We hear things like, “I can’t help it. I’m falling in love!” Or, “I can’t help it. I’m falling out of love!” The reason so many have bought into this lie is that they’ve confused love with attraction or infatuation. But that’s not love!

When you’re attracted to someone, it doesn’t mean you love them. Attraction can actually be the opposite of love because it is often self-focused. It’s about how this person makes me feel. But we’re told in Scripture that love “does not seek its own” (1 Cor. 13:5) and it “never fails” (13:8). Whereas attraction does seek its own and is fleeting.

Love is a choice. So when one spouse says to the other, “I’m sorry, I just don’t love you anymore.” He or she is really saying “I’ve chosen not to love you anymore.” How else could Jesus command us to “love one another” (John 13:34), unless we can choose not to love?
 
God is love. And because of that, He’s the expert at love. So the closer you are to Him, the more you’ll make the choice to love others. And the more you choose to love and commit to love, the more loving you’ll become. Make the choice to love others today!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment